I have spent 1 month comparing Philips 3200 vs 5000, and the result has been clear: Philips 3200 is the final winner.
The winner Philips 3200 is equipped with a stable brewing system that can extract aromatic, robust, and balanced espressos. The milk system impresses me the most since it can froth microfoam. I also enjoy the alert system that tells when to clean and which part to clean. I recommend this model for even beginners.
As for the runner-up Philips 5000, I also enjoy its flavor and aroma. The automatic milk carafe can froth creamy milk foam for macchiatos as well. But, overall, the milk texture can’t reach the heavenly airy level that I look for in cappuccinos. And the grinder is a bit noisy as well. So 5000 is not a value-for-price option as I hoped.
Philips 3200 vs 5000: Comparison Chart
Last update on 2023-02-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Philips 3200 vs 5000: Differences
Philips 3200 wins 3-1 against Philips 5000 thanks to its overall better performance in terms of espresso quality, milk texture, cleaning, grinder operation, etc. I will show you my verdict below.
Coffee flavor: Philips 3200
Philips 3200 easily wins the round since its grinder is much quieter than that of 5000, despite being the same kind. This pair comes with ceramic burr grinders, one of the most favored types of coffee grinders on the market right now. And in terms of ground texture, I’m satisfied with the results since it is pretty even and smooth.
Philips 3200’s grinder also is more convenient for having 12 settings, while 5000’s only has 5. If you wonder why the more settings, the better, I can tell you that the strength of espresso can be manipulated through the grinder.
With 12 settings, you can adjust the coffee strength more freely according to your preference.
+Dosing + tamping
Given that Philips 3200 and Philips 5000 are superautomatic devices, they can dose and tamp directly without the help of users. With these product lines, users can adjust the dose to increase or reduce the strength of each espresso shot. So the dose is customizable.
After many tests, the tamping performance of each model shows through the quality of crema and it reflects in the flavor of espresso as well. With Philips 3200, I noticeably get more crema and creamier espresso texture. With Philips 5000, the crema is there but it isn’t as impressive as what 3200 can deliver.
Flavor-wise, I find the quality quite similar. But, 3200 has a more robust and slightly more bitter tinge, which is great for users who love rich coffee. 5000 sides with the mellower flavor range.
Nevertheless, there are many ways to adjust the taste, like using different grinder settings, configuration of aroma strength, coffee strength, etc., which both models offer.
Philips 3200 and Philips 5000 use a single boiler system to heat water, so it’s not the best type on the market right now. But, I shout out to these devices for being able to brew cups that are warm enough to drink right away, but not too cool either. The average temperature that the espressos (strictly speaking) can reach is around 165F.
If you want a hot cup, try to preheat the cups so they can maintain the temperature for a longer time. And make sure that you set the water temperature of Philips 3200 and Philips 5000 at the highest. There are three levels to choose from.
Milk System: Philips 3200
While 3200 use a steam wand to froth milk, 5000 use a more automatic milk carafe with variable milf foam textures. Theoretically speaking, 5000 should be better, but my experience with the pair says otherwise.
With 3200, given that it is a steam wand, I can control the final texture of the milk foam better. And unlike many other machines of the same price range, I can make microfoam with this. I don’t doubt that you will fall in love with this model’s airy, dry and smooth foam like I did.
With 5000, I can froth the milk to a certain extent. There is a lighter texture to it. But, it is impossible to make microfoam that is essential for cappuccinos and lattes. So it’s best to keep this in mind if you are a fan of these recipes.
If you are a first-timer with little to no experience making coffees, Philps 5000 is the better pick. It has more one-touch beverages, including milk-based ones like cappuccino or latte macchiato.
But, if you look for a product that assists more when cleaning, 3200 is the better pick. It has an active alarm that shows the water filter condition, the boiler, the tank, etc., in real-time. When the water reservoir needs descaling, the light will flicker to alarm you about the situation.
Cleaning & Maintain: Philips 3200
The cleaning cycles are generally the same. There are quick rinsing processes that take 15 seconds to less than a minute to carry out. You can clean the milk path briefly to avoid mold formation and bacteria going up the brew system. There are more complete cycles designed for weekly and monthly cleaning as well.
But, Philips 3200 still wins thanks to the straightforward design of its alarm system, which tells users when to descale, change the water filter, or deep clean. For me, this feature is much more convenient than keeping a tab on the cleaning schedule.
Philips 3200 vs 5000: Similarities
Allow me to show you 2 similar small features between Philips 3200 and Philips 5000. If you like Americano like me, these machines should be ideal for you.
Both Philips 3200 and Philips 5000 have the one-touch americano feature, which simply is a mixture of water and rich espresso. A good machine should brew this beverage without it being watered-down, and both product lines do a decent job at it.
Frontal water tank
A frontal or side water tank always is better than a back water tank since it gives users more access and easier refills. Both Philips 3200 and Philips 5000 have a frontal water tank. So you won’t need extra backspace for these machines.
I try to avoid backwater reservoir most of the time since it takes more effort to remove and refill. Only when a machine has every feature that check the box, except for the position of the tank, do I purchase it for personal use.
Quick Rundown of Philips 3200
- Note: 1)Too coarse a grind, too little coffee, or insufficiently tamping the grounds before brewing can all lead to inadequate pressure for a proper brew. 2)It is important to note that the amount of espresso extracted will vary depending on the grind size and amount and reprogramming may be needed when the size and amount are adjusted
- Enjoy 4 coffees at your fingertips, makes espresso, hot water, coffee, Americano, Espresso Lungo. The classic milk frother allows you to create a silky smooth cappuccino or latte macchiato with ease
- Intuitive touch display, frequency: 60 hertz
- Adjust aroma strength and quantity
- 12-step grinder adjustment
Last update on 2023-02-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Quick Rundown of Philips 5000
Related Articles to Philips 3200
- Philips 3200 Vs Breville Barista Pro: Which Machine Brews More Exquisite Espressos, Has Better Automation And Is Easier To Clean?
- Saeco Xelsis Vs Philips 3200: Honest Review Of 2 Intuitive And Potent Espresso Machines After 2 Months Of Testing
- Philips 3200 Vs Terra Kaffe: Reviewing 2 Affordable Models With The Best Visual Design That I Have Ever Seen
- Philips 3200 Vs 3100: Reviewing 2 Super-Automatic Espresso Machines After 2 Months Of Using
- Philips 3200 Vs 5400: Which Espresso Machine Wins? Reviewing 2 Affordable Models With Similar Design
- Philips 3200 Vs 4300: My Honest Review On 2 Affordable Espresso Machines (1 Month Of Using)
- Jura D6 Vs Philips 3200: Which Espresso Machine Makes Better Drinks And Has A More Intuitive Design?
- Jura E8 Vs Philips 3200: Finding A Worth-To-Buy Machine For Milk-Based Coffee Recipes
- Jura E6 Vs Philips 3200: 2 Espresso Machines In Different Price Ranges. Which Performs Better?
- Jura A1 Vs Philips 3200: Reviewing 2 Affordable And Super-Automatic Espresso Machines. 1 Is Much Better
- Breville Barista Express vs Philips 3200: Which Automatic Coffee Maker Is A Better Fit?
- Philips 3200: https://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/EP3221_44/series-3200-fully-automatic-espresso-machines
- Philips 5000: https://www.philips.com.sg/c-p/EP5335_10/series-5000-fully-automatic-espresso-machines
I am a passionate coffee drinker. Since I left my job as a barista a few years back in 2012, I’ve been sharing my expertise on coffee and buying the best coffee equipment online. That’s how Wild Boar Coffee came to life.
I write about everything coffee-related under the sun. Where to buy the freshest coffee beans from? How to test coffee beans based on texture, aroma, and acidity?
I know all this from scratch – all thanks to my years and years of experience as a barista. So I’ve gotten real up-close-and-personal with coffee beans and different brewing techniques.